A very eminent physicist Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76.
Remembering Stephen Hawking, a renowned physicist and ambassador of science. His theories unlocked a universe of possibilities that we & the world are exploring. May you keep flying like superman in microgravity, as you said to astronauts on @Space_Station in 2014 pic.twitter.com/FeR4fd2zZ5
— NASA (@NASA) March 14, 2018
He left the world peacefully at his home in Cambridge, England. He was a genius known for his work with black holes and relativity.
Here are some of the things one should know about Stephen Hawking ;
1) He was born on January 8, 1942, on the 300th anniversary of Galileo Galilei’s death.
2) He was also a Cosmologist, Astronomer, Mathematician and Author of many books, including the landmark ” A Brief History Of Time”, which has sold more than 10 million copies.
3) In 1963, he was diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), a neurodegenerative disease that slowly took away his ability to move.
4) He was told he had 2 years to live but he lived for 55 more years.
5) In 1979, He was appointed to the Lucasian chair of mathematics at Cambridge University.
6) In 1980, he lost his voice. After that, he communicated via a text-to-speech computer apparatus.
7) He was dependent on others or on technology for everything – bathing, dressing, and eating.
8) Hawking proposed a radiation, Hawking radiation, which helps explain how black holes function.
9) In 2014, his life story was adapted into a movie, ” The Theory of Everything”
10) In 2016, he along with Mark Zuckerberg co-launched Breakthrough star shot, a plan to send tiny spaceships to our nearest stellar neighbor, Alpha Centauri.
11) Despite being a British citizen he was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the U.S’s highest civilian honor, in 2009 by then President Barack Obama.
He was a human of determination and curiosity and was undoubtedly an inspiration for all of us.
RIP Sir Stephen Hawking.